An “Electronic Eye”.
An electronic eye is a device that can do hundreds of different things. In electronics and engineering it is called a phototube or a photocell. Photocells are widely used at metallurgical plants, in machine plants, in chemical and food industry. In machine plants an “electronic eye Read and translate the text into Russian.” can be used for inspecting machine parts. If the parts are worked not well enough, they do not reflect enough light into the phototube and are sorted out by a device as bad ones.
An “electronic eye” does another important work at a metallurgical plant. In the making of steel Read and translate the text into Russian. it is necessary that the temperature of molten metal be exactly right. As the steel gets hotter and hotter its colour changes from red – hot to orange and at last to white. By fixing the exact colour of the metal, a phototube, gives the most accurate measurements of its temperature Read and translate the text into Russian.. By passing the electric current of the definite strength to the controlling device, the phototube can
bring the metal to exact temperature wanted.
Photocells can be also used at canning factories where they can count the fimshed cans of food.
A phototube is placed on one side of the belt Read and translate the text into Russian. and a lamp producing a light beam is put on the other.
Every time a can comes between the light and the “eye” the current is stopped. Each time the electric impulse is started, it moves the counter one digit. The process results in me accurate count of every Read and translate the text into Russian. can moving along the conveyor of finished production.
Give English equivalents of:
1) проверка деталей
2) температура расплавленного металла
3) четкие измерения
4) подсчет каждой консервной банки
5) создание стали
Give Russian equivalents of:
1) reflect light
2) steel gets hotter
3) pass the electric current
4) move the counter one digit
5) a controlling device
Fill the gaps with the correct verb Active or Passive Voice Read and translate the text into Russian.:
Catching a Plane.
When you (are arrived, arrive) at an airport you should go straight (прямо) to the check-in-desk where your ticket (билет) and luggage (багаж) (checked, are checked). You (keep, are kept) your хэнд luggage with you but your suitcases (take, are taken) to the Read and translate the text into Russian. plane on a conveyor belt. If you are on an international flight (полет) your passport (check, is checked), and then you and your bags (x-rayed, are x-rayed) by security cameras; sometimes you (give, are given) a body search (осмотр) and your luggage (searches, is searched) by a security Read and translate the text into Russian. officer.
Exercise V. Conditionals
A) Translate the given sentences. Mind the First Conditional.
1. If the researcher uses this new approach, he will be able to avoid many errors.
2. He will help you by all means, if he has some free time.
3. The plant will not pollute the environment, provided Read and translate the text into Russian. it is provided with all necessary
Translate the given sentences. Mind the Second and the Third Conditionals.
1. If I were in your place. I would receive the proposal.
2. He would translate the article, if he had a dictionary.
3. If the students had worked hard during the Read and translate the text into Russian. term, they would have passed the exam.
B) Rewrite the sentences using the Zero, First, Second or Third Conditional. The second sentence must have the same meaning as the first.
1. You put oil on water, the oil floats.
If you put oil on water, it floats Read and translate the text into Russian..
2. Madonna’s new record is coming out soon and I don’t want to buy it.
3. President Kennedy went to Dallas and he was shot.
4. Water boils when you heat it to 100C.
5. I like спорт so I watch the TV sports channel.
6. Lennon and McCartney Read and translate the text into Russian. met so the Beatles existed.
The Beatles _______________________
7. I wear boots when it’s cold.
8. Karl Marx and Chairman Mao never met so they didn’t have an interesting conversation.
9. It doesn’t usually snow in June in Europe so I can’t go skiing then.
Exercise Read and translate the text into Russian. VI
Complete the sentences with the correct form of the verbs in brackets.
“I can’t 1____________ (believe) it! I passed all my exams! I really don’t know how I managed 2____________ (pass) Maths. Now I need 3____________ (decide) what to study at university, but the problem is that I don’t know what I Read and translate the text into Russian. want 4__________ (do).
A few months ago I decided 5___________ (study) Biology, but now I’m not sure. It seems 6___________ (be) difficult to find a job as a biologist. I suppose I could 7___________ (become) a doctor, but it must 8_____________ (be) a very stressful job. My mum says you Read and translate the text into Russian. can learn 9____________ (enjoy) anything, but I wouldn’t like 10____________ (work) in a hospital.
I enjoy 11_____________ (work) with people. I don’t like 12______________ (do) the same thing every day. I don’t mind 13 __________ (get) up early. I love 14___________ (travel) and I prefer 15__________ (work) outside. Oh, and I can’t stand 16___________ (talk) on Read and translate the text into Russian. the phone for a long time. What’s the best job for me?”